Saturday, February 16, 2008

Praying Festival

I was back to Penang for a day to pray for the Tien Kong. It is the festival of Hokkien lang..hehhe! My actual religion is Hakka but we followed our grandmum since young, so we're indirectly considered as Hokkiens. Complicated..nevamind. It's been two years since we last prayed Tien Kong coz my mum passed away and we cant pray for 3 years. For Hokkiens, Tien Kong, which is prayed on the 8th night of CNY, is the most important day during the CNY.

In my family, Tien Kong is prayed in a grand way, where the whole roasted pig and other food are served to the God. This year Dad ordered the 33kg roasted pig. He waited for almost 2 hours before he can get it. I think Penang is the most happening place to pray Tien Kong coz most people are Hokkiens. The boyfriend followed me back to hometown to experience the fun..hahha!






Sorry to my Malay readers for displaying the photos of the roasted pig.



The boyfriend is quite amazed with the way we prayed. He never expect the servings to be so much. For his family, they'll just have do the normal praying and that's it. But it's different for Penangites. Anyhow every family has their own way of praying. In my family, everyone is really excited especially when we're all waiting for the roasted pig to be cut into pieces..LOL!



And you can see the sky is filled with fireworks here and there. And you dont only see on series of fireworks but MANY! I think every family is trying to amaze the GOD with this and to attract the GOD's attention..hahha! This year there's no fireworks/firecrackers for my house coz Dad cant manage to get them.



When it reaches 12am, Dad started to lit the big joss stick and everyone started to pray. You can wish for whatever you want but not money dropping down from the skies. Hahha. This year I'm wishing for a good health and prosperity in my career. And the rest not to be mention *shhh*






Camwhore session. My aunt, Stephanie, busy posing with my cousins and having fun with their poses. There's few photos of their silly actions but I like this most. It's been quite some time since I last took so many photos.





My youngest sister. Look at the difference of our heights! I'm the shortest among my siblings..hehhe but usually the eldest in the family is quite short. Is that true?

After praying all of us started to open out all the gold papers (which is believed to be the money) and gathered them all to be burnt later. When it's photo taking time, I played with the gold paper coz they folded it like a hat. Look at the pose I did..hehhe and my Dad said I should wear it and pray to become Crown President (which is the highest level in the MLM I'm doing)..LOL!






I know that was an open burning. I know it will caused air pollution but that's the tradition. Just obeyed law.

And here comes the fun part. After all the traditions, finally it's time to pity the roasted pig. My uncle, a chef, does the cutting of pig every year. He knows the way to operate the pig and cut them into pieces. And we only know how to wait and eat the siew yuk (roasted pork)..hehhe!




Hhahahhaha I cant stop laughing when I see this photo. See how cute Stephanie posing with the pig's head. It's quite pity right?




That how the Hokkiens pray in Penang. ;)

No comments: